A street in the Strip District with wagons and automobiles, 1910 [Life in Western Pennsylvania]
Posts tagged automobile.
Pittsburgh factory where limousine bodies are built from wood, October 1912
Steel worker and his family washing car together, Pittsburgh, 1959. Peter Stackpole. [Life]
View of the New Diamond Market in Downtown Pittsburgh, 1964 [Flickr]
On This Day in Pittsburgh History: June 5, 1953
Many state and local officials participated in a ribbon cutting opening the Squirrel Hill Tunnel, the most costly single project ($18 million) ever undertaken by the State Highways Department. This placed in service the first 8-mile stretch of the $34 million Penn-Lincoln Highway. [Historic Pittsburgh]
Forbes Field, Pittsburgh, 1957. Paul Slantis, Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh (via)
“Sweet Talk,” Charles “Teenie” Harris (1908–1998), photographer. Teenie Harris Archives, Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh.
1905: “Antique Cars of Pennsylvania”
They may look bulky, clunky and even awkward to a modern eye, but antique cars have their charm and occupy a prominent place in auto history of Pittsburgh. Car races dating to the beginning of the 20th century, antique car shows and powerful Pittsburgh capital holders able to afford the elite automobiles are part of Pittsburgh’s auto history.
The story of antique cars in Pittsburgh unfolded in parallel with developments in the automobile industry in the United States starting in 1895, when the first automobile patent was approved.
The antique era in auto history covered the period from 1895 to 1920.
The earliest photo of antique cars found in Post-Gazette’s library was published in 1905 by the Sun-Telegraph. It shows three of Pittsburgh’s progressive physicians lining up their cars during a Sunday afternoon drive near Freeport. The photo caption identifies them left to right: Dr. George A. Urling and family; Dr. John A. Hawkins and family; family and Frank D. Saupp, and Dr. H. W. Urling and family.
Before 1920, only the wealthy owned automobiles in America. According to the Horseless Carriage Club, “Ownership required a pioneering spirit, inventiveness and superior mechanical ability to keep these early automobiles functioning. These early automobiles were called horseless carriages as they were capable of transporting people and freight faster and longer distance without the need of a horse to pull them.”
“Unlike a horse, the automobile did not require feeding or veterinarians to maintain health when not in service, but like a horse they often got a lecture in a colorful language by the owner when they would not perform.”
Pittsburgh had its own Chapter of the Horseless Carriage Club of America. The Sun-Telegraph captured its president Gene Connelly (second photo on the right) at the helm of a 1915 Stanley Steamer Mountain Wagon. It was the first station wagon in America. The automobile hauled guests from railway stations to mountain resorts in the East.
The unique characters of antique automobiles continued charming wealthy Pennsylvanians years later. Cadillacs from 1910, Regals and 1909 Pierce Arrows took part in the Glidden Tour to Pennsylvania’s prestigious Bedford Springs resort in 1948 (third photo).
In 1951, the trend continued. The Sun-Telegraph photo from that year (fourth on the right) shows the 1910 Regal, one of the sportiest cars in the annual Glidden tour, piloted by James C. Sutton of Bristol, Pa., and Stanley Wilkinson, Philadelphia. According to the Sun-Telegraph, Sutton bought it in a junk yard for $75.
The American Automobile Association established the Glidden Tour in 1902. The tours took place yearly until 1913. The event was terminated because of the poorly developed road system in the U.S., recurrent problems with accidents and public complaints. Long before the Dakar rallies, these tours were usually tests of endurance for the participants: the roads were terrible, accidents were numerous, cars broke down all the time and drivers had to be prepared to repair their horseless carriages on the run. Residents of the communities were not very happy when the tours crisscrossed their land, damaging property and scaring horses. The Veteran Motor Car Club of American brought the Glidden Tours back in 1946.
Pittsburgh automobile, 1904 (via)
On This Day in Pittsburgh History: April 17, 1901
The first automobile accident in the city was reported. [Historic Pittsburgh]
Aftermath of the St. Patrick’s Day flood, Pittsburgh, 1936 (via)
Forbes Avenue near Atwood Street in the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh, with the Cathedral of Learning in the background, 1937 [Flickr]
On This Day in Pittsburgh History: February 13, 1923
Henry Ford announced purchase of the Allegheny Plate Glass Company plant at Glassmere for establishment of the first Ford plant in the Pittsburgh district. [Historic Pittsburgh]